Sunday, December 22, 2013

South America Explorations: Week 10 - Santiago and Valparaiso


Sunday, December 15th, 2013

After a relaxing morning in the hostel with breakfast and a lunch of leftovers from last night’s steak, I boarded a bus to go from Mendoza to Santiago. This bus will take the same route that I had been on Friday morning for the trip to Aconcagua, so the views were sure to be spectacular on this route. Additionally, it’s a very curvy and windy route, earning the nickname “Road of 365 Curves”. So I did a bit of research to get in a front row seat on the second level of the bus (all of the long-distance buses are double deckers) for precisely this reason.

Unfortunately for me, this bus company had chosen to put a grid-like material on the windshield of the second deck to minimize the impact of the sun, which decreased visibility to the point that you could barely see anything. They had curtains as well, so I don’t know why the grid-crap was necessary. While I did get some wonderful views and pictures from the side window, I was still a wee bit peeved.

The bus ride was supposed to be about 6 hrs, but ended up taking close to 9 hrs due to not-so-surprising delays at the border. Chilean immigration scans all luggage and 3 of the bags (not mine) were deemed suspicious and it took a small amount of time to get that sorted out.

After arriving at the bus station in Santiago close to 9pm, I hopped on the subway. For my time in Santiago, I’m staying with my old friend Michelle and her husband Ed, who had been living in the city the past few years on an expat assignment. I met Michelle during an organized tour to Spain & Portugal well over a decade ago and we kept in light touch over the years, mostly via the powers of Facebook.

The subway here was very clean, fast, and efficient. It reminded me a lot of the Metro in DC (rip BC), except that it was busy like NYC’s system during most of the day and there were lots of trains. It was also so clean that riders felt perfectly comfortable sitting on the ground. I can’t imagine doing the same on most of the subway cars in NYC…

When I finally arrived to Michelle & Ed’s deluxe-apartment-in-the-sky an hour later, they had a burger and some salad & veggies waiting for me. Thank goodness – I was starving and it was excellent. It was nice to have my own bedroom and bathroom as well. After 11 weeks of shared rooms, I was looking forward to spreading out for a few days and decompressing. This stop in Santiago was fortuitously falling smack dab in the middle of my adventure.

Monday, December 16th, 2013

I slept in a bit this morning. In addition to having my own bedroom, I also was sleeping in a queen-sized bed, which was nice to stretch out in. You know, since I’m so tall and all.

Michelle had recently left her job, and so she was happy to serve as tour guide for me today to give me the lay of the land as well. She’s quite the student and asked & researched lots when she was doing her own acclimatization to the city, so she was generally able to answer most any question I had and then some. It’s nice to hang out with engineers – I think our minds are wired the same.

We started in one corner of the downtown area and Michelle showed me some parks, hills, and neighborhoods that I should walk around later in the week. We also grabbed some sushi at one of the only places she knows of in the city that doesn’t lace every roll with cream cheese. I hate cream cheese in my sushi, so I’m glad she saved me from figuring this out on my own.

Santiago is a very walkable city, but many tourists find it difficult to spend more than 4-5 days here and I could understand why. It felt more like a great place to live and an okay place to visit – this seemed to match Michelle & Ed’s assessment as well. Additionally, a really strong earthquake from a few years back had shuttered many of the museums while they find the money for repairs. The city is expanding rapidly and lots of funds are being spent on infrastructure development. Heck, the metro itself is currently quite bigger than my 2-yr old guidebook would suggest.

One of the things I wish I snapped a picture of was the “café de piernas” or “café of legs”. These are heavily scattered about, much like Starbucks in Seattle, and is a spot where you get your coffee served by women with long legs wearing tight short shorts. It’s perfectly normal for people (both men and women) to stop by these in the middle of the day for a coffee break. Apparently there are some such cafés that have an added random “happy hour”, and when the bell rings the servers go topless for a song or two or something like that.

After walking around for 4-5 hours, we hopped on the subway at about 6pm to beat rush hour back to Michelle’s place and had a home-cooked meal. It seems that rush hour is about 7pm because most people start work at 9 or 10 in the morning. As I mentioned a few posts back, it seems like life in Chile and Argentina is just shifted a few hours – in fact, clocks here are 2 hours ahead of us so they are actually doing everything generally at the same time most of us do in eastern standard time.

Tuesday, December 17th, 2013

I slept in again today. It was a really nice feeling to do that two days in a row actually. When Michelle and I were coming back to the apartment yesterday evening, we stopped by a grocery store so that I could pick up some oatmeal and lactose-free milk – I had been craving those a bit. Breakfast has generally been my most dreaded meal because there’s only so much eggs and buttered bread you can take. For me, it doesn’t take long before the idea of eating eggs gives me the heebies.

The key thing I did today was head to the Museum of Misery & Suffering (more correctly known as Museum of Memory and Human Rights). This is an important civil rights museum that tells the story of the military junta that took the country over from the leftist president Salvador Allende in 1973 and started a brutal dictatorship under the general Augusto Pinochet for the next 17 years. In the immediate aftermath, the government went about denying civil rights in an effort to rid the country of opposing thought – dissidents were captured, tortured, and buried at sea; a daily curfew was imposed; certain books were banned and burned… and oh yeah, our own US government was supportive of the coup because of Cold War fears on the spread of communism, not to mention the direct benefit to some very large US corporations who were exploiting the mineral resources in the country. Even after Pinochet left office, many of the economic reforms that he instituted remain alive today and it’s no secret that Chile has modeled a lot after what we have in the US. As a result, the country even today remains very divided on their opinion on what took place during the Pinochet years.

I spent about 4 hours in the Museum, and it was obviously some very heavy material… to the point that I got a bit choked up at a memorial set up where framed pictures of all of the missing people are hung on a massive wall in the middle of the museum. I think we often associate democracy and capitalism for freedom of speech and civil rights… and in many cases, that’s absolutely true. In this case, the capitalist government was the oppressive one, and I suppose you could say the same was true in the US during the McCarthy Red Scare years where we jailed anyone associated with communism.

To clear my mind and process the information I had heard (thank you, audio tour), I just wandered around a bit for the next two hours around the city.

That evening, I joined Michelle & Ed at dinner in a nice area of town at a tapas bar with some of their expat friends – this couple is also originally from Australia (like Michelle & Ed) but is leaving to go back home in the next few months. It was nice to have a “normal-ish” dinner with friends, even though I barely knew most of the people at the table. Even on this trip, I often struggle to find people to go have a nice lunch or dinner with since many people in the hostel are on a fixed budget.

Wednesday, December 18th, 2013

I slept in again. Loved it. Then I got some laundry in the washer since it was free (to me, at least – thanks again M/E).

After another oatmeal breakfast that hit the spot, I headed back into the city to check out some of the spots that Michelle had pointed out to me on Monday. On the northern end of the downtown area is a mountain called Cerro San Cristobal which has fantastic views of the city; at the base of this cerro is an area  called Bellavista where a lot of hostels are located and has a pretty nice bar & restaurant scene. I figured I’d spend the majority of the day there.

To get up the cerro, there were two options: walking up a set of switchbacks or taking the funicular. It’s a wee bit on the hot side in Santiago, so I opted for the funicular route. This also allowed me to say the word funicular more times than were really necessary.

There’s a zoo halfway up the cerro, but I decided against going in on Michelle’s advice. The zoo is very old and the animals don’t have very much space and I think I would have left feeling very angry. I still don’t understand how people can believe it’s ok to treat animals as though they were put on this earth for our pleasure. Anyone who has a cat or dog (and actually treats them with dignity) would realize pretty quickly that they have their own personalities and characters… something merely put on our planet for our pleasure would not have that.

The views at the top were really nice. Even though there was a heavier layer of smog today than in previous days, I could still get a sense of the sheer size of the city. On clearer days, you can see the Andes serving as a nice backdrop to the city. The top of the mountain had a number of religious statues and buildings: from the large Mary statue overlooking the city to a small church to a nativity scene with an amphitheater.

I headed back down the mountain (via funicular) and parked myself at a funky artsy illy café (quite popular in Europe) for a few hours to take care of some things. The only other real thing I did today was walk back into the center city to explore the other cerro in town, Cerro Santa Lucia. This is a much smaller hill surrounded by the center city but is still quite interesting and beautiful despite it’s apparent disrepair – it looks like no one has cared for it in a decade, though admittedly that kind of added to its charm.

There were lots of footpaths up and around this cerro, which had all sorts of buildings and fountains and boardwalks and other such structures built into it. Some of these footpaths were wide and comfy and others were steep and winding – I imagine that as a little kid, I would have loved driving my parents insane by running around and hiding from them. Who am I kidding, I’d love to do that now too!

Thursday, December 19th, 2013

Today marks the exact halfway point in my trip. The first 10 weeks have gone both fast and slow in a sense. I find myself both very excited for what’s coming next and very nostalgic for my home back in Cincinnati (and my dogs too). One of the people I met in Mendoza was from the US and on a similar length of trip – she decided after several months to cut her vacation short and head back home. As she put it, “I found out that the desire for work/life balance goes in both directions.” I think that’s true – for me, I think traveler fatigue starts to set in somewhere around this two month point. Hopefully I am able to find something to shake it up a little on the second half of the trip.

I packed up my belongings this morning and bid a farewell to Michelle and Ed. Seriously, I can’t thank them enough for their hospitality. Of course, if they ever showed up in Cincinnati, I’d be more than happy to return the favor.

After a few hours on the subway and a bus, I arrived to Valparaiso, a smaller city located on the western coast of the country close to Santiago. The city has a distinct vibe, very different from other areas of the country. It’s a bit of a haven for artists, and the indications are everywhere from unique shops and galleries to the stunning graffiti plastering many walls, doors, alleys, and steps. While the city is located on the coast, it also about 45 hills or cerros that buildings and homes are scattered up, down, and across.

I had picked out a hostel that I wanted to stay at, but unfortunately it was full. They sent me to a neighboring hostel that was also on my list, but unfortunately they were full as well. The third hostel (not on my list) had a ton of space, so I checked in. It looks like I need to start making reservations from here on out. January & February are high season for Argentina and Chile, so it follows that I won’t have the same ease of walking up to anything at the last moment.

I went to a nearby eatery and had a spectacular lunch – while the food was pricier than in Santiago, it was a ton better. Spending $15 in pesos for something that I would have to spend twice as much for in Cincinnati is still a deal, though I definitely won’t be traveling as cheap as I had before. I suppose it’s really no different than Mendoza. Except here, even the restaurants have touches of artistry on the walls.
 

The afternoon was spent wandering the streets a bit – the graffiti was everywhere as were some spectacular views. Cerro Concepcion, the hill I was staying on, has a few boardwalks built facing the sea that were nice for a quick stroll. It didn’t take me very long at all to understand why so many people had told me that Valparaiso was worth visiting, even if only for a day. Valparaiso seems like Greenwich Village might have been in the 60s or 70s back before it was overrun with high prices and yuppies.

The weather was a bit spotty – very cloudy and a bit on the cool side, which was unexpected for this area, even by the locals. This suited me just fine since it made it easy to walk around without getting hot and sweaty. After more walking, I had dinner at a nice Italian pizza place with a nightcap at a tiny café. This café had a great vibe, even though it was empty at the moment – the guy there told me that there’s live music during the weekends.


Friday, December 20th, 2013

Today, I explored a bit farther out from Cerro Concepcion. The famous Chilean poet, Pablo Neruda, had built a house Valparaiso that was about a 45 minute walk from my hostel. Along the way, I was treated to lots more graffiti and excellent views of the city. Neruda had asked some friends in Valparaiso to find him a unique place with views of the entire city, and this is what he got – it was pretty spectacular.

I haven’t really read any of Neruda’s work, nor do I know much about him at all, but the 2 hr audio tour of the house made it clear that he was a very interesting fellow. He had an extremely odd and quirky set of belongings, and his house had a garden that even had a teeter-totter. There’s a quote he has that goes something like, “A child who does not play is not a child. A man who does not play has lost his inner child.” I kinda liked that.

After the Neruda house tour, I walked down the mountain and had dinner at an extremely overpriced restaurant. A bottle of water was the equivalent of $6, though I must admit it was actually pretty tasty. I was going to bypass it but somehow I’m a sucker for a waiter standing outside asking me if I want to come in to eat. If I’m actually thinking about eating food, somehow I’m unable to lie or tell them that I’m not interested unless I actually know why I’m not interested.

This afternoon, I joined about 40 other people on a free Tours for Tips tour. Since we had so many people, we split into two groups and Elias was our Wally. The tour guides dress in a red/white striped shirt like Waldo of Where’s Waldo fame… except in Latin America, they call it “Donde eres Wally?” instead. So his name tag (and the others too) said Wally.
 
 

Elias was an overly energetic tour guide who liked to yell every    single    word    individually     as     if    that    point    of    emphasis     helped     his     message     get    through    instead     of    annoying      the     hell     out     of     most     everyone. But we learned a lot, including why much of Valparaiso is now a UNESCO heritage site, why there are so many firefighting companies in town, and how the pecking order of graffiti artists works.

After     leaving     the    Wallys, I meandered back to the hostel and then ended up at a fancy-like place for dinner, and it was really quite good. I followed it up with a nice dessert and coffee at a nearby pastry shop. Today was not the cheapest day I’ve had on this tour. I don’t think my waistline can afford too many of these days either.

After swinging by a grocery store for an inordinately cheap but extremely tasty bottle of Carmenere wine ($4 for 1.5L), I enjoyed a few glasses with some others in my hostel. There were two French girls living/working at the hostel for the past month – they invited me to join them to a new bar a few blocks away that had a live Brazilian band playing that evening. “Say Yes more than No” was another good choice tonight – the music was excellent, people were dancing, and it wasn’t too crowded.

 
Saturday, December 21st, 2013

I took it slow today, deciding after a few hours to stay another day and linger. I got in pretty late last night, and you could say that I felt the impact. I’m not young and spry anymore.

I heard from another tourist that there was a fish market along the coastline north of the city that was worth walking to. Though I’m not a huge fan of fish, I didn’t have a better plan and I thought the exercise and prospect of ridiculously fresh fish might not be too bad an idea.

The day was a bit overcast, so it was perfect for me. Through the next 2 hours, I saw 3-4 large Naval ships (the Chilean Navy is based here), a cruise liner, lots of sea lions, waves crashing constantly on rocks, and lots of joggers and bikers. They even had exercise equipment on the boardwalk in several locations.

As I arrived to the fish market area, the coastline had transformed from a rocky outcrop to a steady beautiful beach, and there was a sand volleyball tournament going on to boot. I picked a restaurant at random and ordered a salmon ceviche… but unfortunately, it tasted a bit on the fishy side. I think I’ve explained my “I don’t like fish when it tastes fishy” feelings before, so I’ll leave that be for now.

The rest of the day was pretty low key for me.

Sunday, December 22nd, 2013

My bus was leaving late tonight to Southern Chile, so I had all day to kill. After checking out of the hostel and dropping my bag off at the bus station, I grabbed a local bus to Vina del Mar, which is a few kilometers north of Valparaiso. It seems that the local population and the super-wealthy prefer Vina del Mar and when I got there, I understood why. The city is much newer and more modern, with a larger beach and green spaces and multiple posh hotels with prime beach real estate. Valparaiso is too old for the luxury hotels to grab a prime spot, so they went north.

I’m glad I didn’t have much more than a few hours to spend here, but even this was incredibly too much time. I must have circled the main part of town three times looking for somewhere decent to eat, before I spotted a fresh Mexican grill. As I walked in, I realized it was a chain. As I ordered, I realized it was an American chain called Lime, one of which had opened up a few blocks from my house a few months ago.

The only other thing going on of note was some sort of military or police graduation or celebration. I wasn’t much in a mood to watch since they can be a wee bit on the boring side, especially when you can’t follow what they are saying. With still lots of hours to kill, I realized that I could just walk back to Valparaiso and that would solve all of my time issues. Along the way, the clouds started to disappear and the sun came out. It’s amazing how much more beautiful a coastline or a city can look with the sun shining. It's also amazing what the "dramatic" filter does to photos of rocks and waves - can you tell the difference?



Tidbits

1.       Cafes in Argentina and Chile give you a small glass of agua con gas (carbonated water) with your coffee. At first I found this strange, but it is strangely refreshing in fact.

2.       If I ever move to Santiago, I would need to find a place to live that is off of the Tobalaba stop. I like that name. It reminds me of the greatest fictional name of all time, Bob Loblaw.

3.       Even in South America, it seems that black people are better dancers than white people.

4.       Breast feeding in public is completely fine here, and no one stares or anything. Given the high volume of catcalling that goes on in this hemisphere of the Americas, it’s curious how a people can be so disrespectful and respectful in these two (albeit, very different) situations. Or perhaps it’s just our perception of what is respectful and disrespectful that is different – it’s easy to forget that it’s more important how women here feel versus us trying to be offended on their behalf.

No comments: