Saturday, February 1, 2014

South America Explorations: Week 16 - Antarctica & Tierra del Fuego

Sunday, January 26th, 2014

We awoke this morning at around 6am from our campsite on mainland Antarctica. “Awoke” is a general term, of course, since for my part, I slept nary a wink because I couldn’t quite get comfortable. The ground that we set up on had about a foot or more of snow, but had been semi-frozen in place. The snow would pack in, but only if you put a little bit of weight on it. As a result, our tents started out “floating” on the snow a bit and this flexibility of the snow could provide an interesting cushion of sorts. It would be like one of those foam mattresses that conforms to your body shape, except this one wouldn’t bounce back. As I shuffled into my sleeping bag last night, I think my butt sank a bit farther down than was comfortable and so my sleeping position wasn’t quite right. That, and, the sky seemed to be illuminated all night too.

Many others had not slept so well either, even Mrs. Crox & Sox, who had her husband carry a large duffle of comforts to the tent from the ship including her bed pillow. By the time I worked up the courage to leave the warmth of my 0-degree bag and venture outside to relieve the morning wood issue that we men are afflicted with, I quickly realized that most of the camp had already started taking down their tents. I guess everyone was a bit ready to go. In the end, camping really wasn’t all that special in itself – I think most of us just did it for the sole purpose of being able to say that we camped on Antarctica. And as of this morning, we could all now say exactly that.

As the Zodiacs zipped us back to the ship, we were greeted by Andrea (staff) holding up a “NO VACANCY” sign at the door. And behind her, the wait staff had another unlimited pot of hot chocolate waiting for us. I hopped in my room to brush my teeth real quick before partaking – I can’t stand the taste of food/drink in my mouth before brushing. Why so many people brush their teeth AFTER breakfast is beyond me. I would think that the last thing you’d want to do is swallow the sleep scum that has formed on your gums & teeth en la noche.


I so very wanted to go to sleep and take a nap, but the captain and the geography had different plans that didn’t make this a good choice. We took the ship south into the Lemaire Channel, a very narrow swath of sea between two towering & breath-taking mountainsides that gets as narrow as 500m wide in some parts. Given the size of the vessel we’re on, that’s quite tiny. The landscape was positively breath-taking and it was worth staying up.
 

During this jaunt, we sidled up next to a large whale and followed it for about an hour. Positively everyone was out on deck – either up top or on the bow. We were collectively watching for the tell-tale air blows, watching for the feeding dive, hoping for a beautiful tail flip that never materialized, and anxiously scanning the water to figure out where she would resurface. And, of course, snapping pictures like mad all the while. We got to within 50 meters of the whale, so everyone had a good view. This, of course, didn’t stop some of the ruder camera-happy couples to jostle for position and edge others out… though this was definitely more the exception than the norm. I suppose the reason it bothered me so much was that this couple was Asian (the same one with 7 cameras between them), and I hated that they were representing my continent of origin so poorly.

In the afternoon, we went to Port Lockroy, a very old British station that serves as an Antarctic museum of sorts. Since the facility can’t handle the entire passenger load at the same time, we were first taken to a small island virtually next door called Jougla Point, where we could watch some small colonies of nesting Gentoo penguins and blue-eyed shags. It was so very crazy windy that I wasn’t much enjoying myself and was anxious to move on. I’m sure my lack of sleep contributed to this in some small fashion.

 
The scene at Port Lockroy was a little better – inside the museum, we were protected by the wind. The museum was interesting and showed how the earlier researchers lived on the bases and how they managed to stay fed and what types of research they were doing back then. Today, in addition to the museum, there’s a gift shop on site along with a post office. The funny thing is that the post office doesn’t really have a standard pick-up mechanism for the mail – they generally hand a sack of mail to the next cruise vessel that stops by to take to Ushuaia. If speed were important, we’d do better to mail it ourselves from Ushuaia… of course, speed was generally not of concern for most who sent anything.

When we got back aboard, the kitchen crew had another dinner surprise set up for us. Since the weather was nice outside, we were treated to another outdoor BBQ. It started snowing lightly as dinner got underway, but how often can you BBQ in Antarctica? Not very often. Even though I was exhausted, I reluctantly had a beer. You know, because it was forced on me. Worst thing is, it was a Guinness, which I absolutely can’t stand the creamy wonderful awesomeness of. My arm was twisted.

January 26th is also Australia Day, so the Aussies on-board were making a massive party of the day non-stop. This evening promised to be a rowdy time. Given the lack of sleep and the planned agenda for tomorrow, both Chelsea and I opted to pass, while A’ron and Brittany continued their trend of staying out late and enjoying as much as possible. In this instance, we had made a major mistake.

Monday, January 27th, 2014
Today’s agenda was action packed – we were slated to go to Deception Island, a very large U-shaped land mass for both the morning and afternoon landings. This would include animal-watching, of course, but also a few hikes on varied terrains. And the gem? A chance to do a polar plunge – yes, a bunch of idiot tourists jumping in freezing cold waters just to say they’ve done it. And the staff would reward us with our very own frameable certificate to put right up there next to our diplomas. Excitement!

Except that mother nature decided to intervene, and in a big way. The seas were extremely choppy – so choppy that many were having trouble doing anything upright. Breakfast itself was quite the adventure in a rocking boat, and I surprised myself with just how fine my stomach was with all of this.

So Deception Island was completely out because the wind was whipping 40-50 knots (that’s a lot of knots) – Austin K and the Captain set course for another location called Yankee Bay that was a bit more protected to try and salvage some of the day. Most people chose to wait it out in their cabins, but Brittany and I held court in our table in the lounge. I figured I should probably drink some water, so I downed a couple of glasses and… then it started sloshing in my stomach. A lot. I ran to the bathroom, but someone was in it, so I started heading down to my cabin but only made it one floor before it was up and out. And there was a huge wave of embarrassment that flushed my face.

After cleaning up a bit, I came back upstairs in a fresh set of clothes. One of the waiters, Danny, told me that drinking lots of water is the exact wrong thing to do – it’s far better to eat crackers and soak up all of the liquids in your belly. This makes absolutely perfect sense in retrospect. Damn.

When we arrived to Yankee Bay, the sea was definitely calmer, but it was still too windy for the safe deployment of zodiacs. So our back-up plan had to be aborted as well, and at this point, there was no time for a Plan C. It looked like our last day in Antarctica would be a complete bust. We’ve definitely been terribly fortunate with weather through the trip, but it was a shame that this was the day that was ruined by bad weather. It might sound kind of dumb, but I feel like we didn’t really get to say goodbye to Antarctica. I also didn’t really feel like we saw all that much of it either – there was only one real day where we traipsed on snow amongst the icebergs. The first day on Elephant Island was interesting, but probably more so for the crew than for us. The afternoon of the second day was at the Polish base, which was really quite underwhelming. And the afternoon of the fourth day was at Port Lockroy, another pseudo-useless day in my opinion. I would have gladly traded in those days for more time on snow & ice. Even so, it was impossible to be disappointed in the crew – they did everything they should and then some. I just have this “incomplete” feeling about the trip in some strange way.

That evening, we had a black & white dress-up contest, where we were to use our own clothing + anything else we could find to create costumes in honor of our mostly black & white penguin friends. I put a pillow under my jacket to dress up as a seasick penguin, complete with barfbag and yellow barf (my bright yellow T-shirt). I certainly didn’t have the same level of creativity as a few of the others, so I came in third place. For those heroics plus a wee bit of gratuitous over-acting, I got a free drink.

I asked the bartender Garnet what I should get for my free drink and he told me to get a scotch since it was the most expensive drink on the menu. But after he handed it to me, I remembered that I don’t really like scotch and ended up nursing the drink for the next 2 hours as we all headed up to the Polar Bear Bar once again with Jeff. Since we were headed back to port after today’s aborted expeditions, Jeff played an extra set and we stayed out extra-long as well. But everyone present agreed that the previous night was far better. Chelsea and I were both kicking ourselves.

Tuesday, January 28th, 2014

Today was a largely uneventful full day at sea. Heidi gave a rather informative lecture on Antarctic invertebrates in the morning. The ice creates a barrier from the changing seasonal weather above to create a more stable, though cold, climate at the sea floor. As a result, there’s a tremendous amount of biodiversity on the sea floor in the Antarctic. In addition to a wide variety of beautiful colors, there’s also a “gigantism” phenomenon where many creatures have grown much larger in the polar regions than in more moderate or tropical sea climates – the theory is that this happens because the polar water is richer in oxygen and carbon dioxide, allowing for a more efficient process of metabolism. More efficient metabolism = increased growth. Works for me. If the ship had offered scuba diving, it would have been pretty spectacular to see. I don’t believe any of the ships offer this though, unfortunately.

We had a lecture from Osi today on IAATO, which is the international treaty on Antarctica that was signed in 1959 (I think). It’s really quite interesting in that all nations end up working extremely cooperatively with one another, regardless of what political or military crap is going on in the real world. The ancient Frank S. Todd shared a few examples with us later on how during the height of the cold war, he was still able to count on assistance from Russian bases a number of times as he was doing his research on penguins.

Alex also gave a superb lecture on climate change. Actually, I fell asleep during most of it, but based on his presentation performance last week as well as the snippets that I did catch, it was clear that he hit this one out of the ballpark again. One of the things I did catch was regarding the ozone layer – a few decades ago, the deteriorating ozone layer was in the media non-stop. It turns out that even now the ozone layer is still in major trouble; the only difference is that the media got tired of it and moved on to other things to report on. I think that’s given many of us (myself included) the false impression that the ozone layer is just fine now.

The initial navigation plan for today called for us to try and get to Cape Hope to take a look on the way back to Ushuaia. Unfortunately, there was a huge storm on the way if we headed that direction, so the captain decided to go full steam straight to Ushuaia to try and avoid the storm entirely.  They showed us later that the storm was up to 50 knots wind and the waves were larger than 20 feet. I think he probably made a good call.

In the evening, Austin K gave us our final quiz. My one-man show, Team Daycare, was unsurprisingly last again. And I still don’t think Austin K was amused.

Wednesday, January 29th, 2014

We spent all day today in the ship – we had arrived to the Beagle Channel which leads to Ushuaia soon after breakfast, but we needed to wait until for a local pilot to steer us into port. This is common in most ports around the world. When I lived in Hoboken many years ago, my roommate Lisa started dating (and eventually moved in with) a fellow who had this same job for New York City’s waterways. The way he described it made it clear that it was about the cushiest and best-paid job in the world. Chelsea and I had made our way up to the bridge to take a look for ourselves, and the local pilot didn’t seem to be doing much of anything. We took some obligatory pictures of pretending to steer the ship – I guess you could say that we were inspired by his example.

The weather was fantastic outside as well, which made us all a little suspicious about the story they told us about the bad weather in the Cape. Okay, not really – we had seen enough from the captain and Austin K to know that they probably wanted to go to Cape Horn or do something more interesting more than we did.

We finally reached port by the late afternoon, and while we were technically permitted to leave the ship, it was the furthest thing from any of our minds. The three weeks really were kind of like an adult summer camp, and we were already getting a bit misty at the thought of having to leave our cozy little slice of heaven aboard this vessel.

We were gathered in the Discovery Lounge for a farewell of sorts from the crew. The Captain gave us a farewell toast with his final comments, and lucky for us, we had our own counter-comments from Lou (Sir Shorts-a-Lot / The Friendly Unintentional Racist), who summed up the thoughts in our collective heads quite perfectly. When we got on the boat, the staff told us that they are a family and work together closely to pull off what they do – this seemed like a standard line of schlock that they say because they are supposed to say this. But over the following 3 weeks, they showed us first-hand that this was truly the case and then some. They genuinely love what they do and it shows in their smiles, their greetings, their genuine interest in the passengers, and of course their own oohs and aahs at the wildlife and landscape even though they’ve seen the same hundreds of times. While I started getting tired of seeing “another penguin colony” fairly quickly, it was clear that these guys could do this forever and never tire of it. We all left fully impressed and thankful for their dedication to their craft.

A few staff members told us that previous groups had gone out partying in Ushuaia the last evenings and sometimes they would even have to go out and look for them in the morning when they didn’t show up. But it seemed that we were all more than content to enjoy each other’s company in the Polar Bear bar with Jeff until 1:30am. He is a wonderful entertainer and clearly loves what he does. Fortunately for us, Brittany had gotten to the bar early enough to claim “our table” too. Aron and I were in the room packing up our bags and time had slipped away. We had a really great final night too – we sang along with Jeff, we danced to slow and fast music, a group did the Macarena, and I have no idea what kind of crazy dancing some of those older Aussies were doing. I think I mentioned that Aussies are generally a boatload of fun, right? They proved it again this evening.

Thursday, January 30th, 2014

I awoke to some interesting sounds at 5am and quickly realized I wouldn’t be getting back to sleep. After a quick situation analysis, I decided the best course of action was to get up and go upstairs to the lounge. Let’s just agree to leave it at that.

After breakfast, we awaited our disembarking instructions and filed out around 8am as our groups were called. Apparently, since the pier is a “working pier”, they don’t allow the passengers to walk out with their own baggage. So we had to load onto buses again to drive the two minutes to a nearby spot where they had arranged to store our luggage.

The first thing on everyone’s mind, of course, was getting internet access and letting family & friends know we were alive and well. A good chunk of people, including our little group, went to the nearby Albatros Hotel where all the normal-paying passengers stayed the night before the cruise as part of the tour package – and everyone knew the wifi password. Since 50+ people had this same idea, internet access was a bit slow to say the least. Some of us fought through this while others took a much needed nap.

After grabbing some lunch, our little foursome walked to the local airport – Aron and Brittany were thinking about taking a sightseeing flight over the nearby mountains, and Chelsea and I didn’t have anything better to do. The prices were a bit too steep to pull the trigger on a 30 minute flight. So we walked back to town, grabbed our bags from the luggage storage place and split up to our respective lodging places after settling on a time & place to reconnect for dinner.

For dinner, we picked a charcuterie place that I had stumbled upon my last night in Ushuaia prior to the cruise. The main fare at a charcuterie is a platter of dehydrated meats (like prosciutto) and a variety of cheeses. We ordered and got a massive platter that we picked at over the next few hours. We were all a bit sad because our foursome would be splitting up after this meal. Aron & Brittany would both be headed home from Ushuaia in the next few days, whereas Chelsea and I (with Celine) were all headed to Patagonia for some hiking and decided to coordinate to have some company along the way.

Looking back, I’m really fortunate to have been able to spend three weeks with such incredible people. I was impressed with how meticulously brilliant/perfect A’ron was – his packing was impeccable and every bit of his camera gear had a specific role and a specific home in the bag. Additionally, he was so incredibly funny, more so than I think he realized himself. And we had some fantastic long talks in the room a few times and I appreciated being able to speak my mind freely and have a true conversation. Brittany was incredible too – her enthusiasm and spunk never failed to amaze me. I have no idea where she gets her energy from. She also lives a minimalist lifestyle, actively choosing to forego excessive material goods. She packed a carry-on bag for a 1-month trip in Argentina and the Antarctic – that should tell it all. And I was inspired by how she lives her life – she has a combination of odd jobs from friends and acquaintances back home and yet manages to cover her expenses AND save up for hugely-expensive trips like this while continuing to put money away for retirement. I was just thoroughly impressed. Chelsea left a job that she’s good at and working for a company that loves her to take a year off and figure out what she wants in life… and if nothing else, at least pursue her hiking passion around the globe. It takes major balls to leave a good situation like that, and I really have a great admiration for that. While the trip I took 12 years ago to Australia/NZ and Southeast Asia was along a similar vein, I only took 14 weeks off then and I most definitely wasn’t brave enough to quit my job.

Yeah, I miss our quartet. When people inevitably ask me the “what part of your trip did you like the best?” question when I get home, I’ll point to the first week in Peru with the Give Back Cincinnati crew and to these three weeks on the ship. And it sounds like a sappy rom-com-ish movie, but it truly is all about spending quality time with quality people. I would have loved my trip infinitely more if I had a friend or significant other with me for the duration, but those just weren’t the cards I was playing with. And when faced with the choice of doing the trip alone vs not doing the trip at all… well, that’s really quite a no-brainer too. Ultimately, there’s frequently never a perfect time – I figure I should take advantage of the opportunities when they present themselves, and then keep my eye out for the next one. I think the trick is keeping your eyes wide open enough.

Friday, January 31st, 2014

While A’ron and Brittany were headed to the Tierra del Fuego National Park today, Chelsea and I hiked from town up to “the glacier”, which turned out to be little more than a valley between two mountain peaks that had some snow in between them. I suppose at one point in our ancient history, there must have been a glacier there, but that’s really not saying much given where we are at.

The hike was really more a walk than anything else though – there were numerous lodges at the base of the hill and the road switchbacked who-knows-how-many times but the weather was nice and the company was good so we just enjoyed the chance to get some real exercise in after being on the ship for the past 3 weeks. My assumption based on the number of lodges and cabins and the chair lift was that this was some sort of ski resort during the winter months. But when we saw the landscape, it was clear that this assumption was wrong. There was really nothing there at all except a very rocky slope with a handful of walking trails. And yet, there were plenty of people there too. I was completely baffled. The view was merely just okay – the mountains on either side weren’t particularly picturesque and generally detracted from the potential view. Really, the day hike I did up a nearby valley just before the cruise was far better and less crowded too. Who knows?

On the way down, we saw Audrey who was also on the ship with us and was staying in the same hostel as me (in the same room too). Audrey and I shared a special bond because we had the same camera. This bond cannot be broken by conventional methods. At the base of the hill, we split up towards our respective hostels.

Later in the afternoon, I spent a few hours at the prison museum. Ushuaia was originally founded as a penal colony (much like Australia) and so there is a ton of history here. The prison itself also housed a maritime museum, a modern art wing, and a few other small collections. While it was an interesting museum, looking back on it now as I’m writing this, I don’t remember a ton about it. But it was worth spending a few hours there at least.
 

Saturday, February 1st, 2014

Today I went to Tierra del Fuego National Park early in the morning to get some more hiking in. You might wonder why I didn’t join A’ron and Brittany yesterday when they went to the same place.

I had gotten some recommendations from a few different people on what hikes to do in the park. There’s realistically only about 2 days’ worth of hiking available in the park on marked trails. Chelsea had done an all-day hike to Cerro Guanaco just before the cruise but warned that portions of it were very wet and shin-deep muddy when she went. I wasn’t in the mood for that. The lady at my hostel highly recommended a coastal trail, but this was a very flat simple trail and would only take a few hours, meaning it would do little to help me get into hiking shape.

In the end, dry feet option won. I had the bus drop me off at the start of the Costera trail along with scores of others. Fortunately, I was able to make my way to the front of the group and get some separation within about 15 minutes so that I could slow down and enjoy the scenery in some peace & quiet. This was definitely a good choice. The weather was perfect – it was overcast, but only chilly enough to keep me from sweating. More importantly, the scenery was gorgeous. I felt like I had stumbled into some pristinely manicured secret garden of sorts. Every pebble, every leaf, every twig, every strand of moss – it all looked like it had been placed purposefully to create a blend of textures and colors that would imprint in the mind’s eye over and over. Or maybe I was just high.

Within a few hours, I had completed the trail and headed up to the park visitor’s center, which had a small museum in it about the region and the native peoples who had lived here. One tribe in particular lived in this very cold region without clothing at all – they smeared animal fat on their bodies to help protect against the elements. Unfortunately, all of the local tribes were more or less wiped out completely due to European diseases but the museum lamented the ill-advised early attempts to assimilate those tribes into European culture. Based on the information presented at least, the tribes were peaceful and there was never any armed conflict of sorts unlike other regions in the Americas.

After eating my packed lunch, I decided to do the lower part of the Cerro Guanaco trail – there was supposedly a viewpoint halfway up the trail, so I figured I’d at least try to get to that point before returning down. Within 15 minutes, the trail took a pretty steep uphill bent and the next 90 minutes was more or less pure uphill. It had started to rain a little bit, but the shade of the trees kept the trail (and me) dry for now. After about two hours, I could see that the tree line was not far so I kept going, hoping that there would be a viewpoint coming up – and it did. I was rewarded with a beautiful view of a completely fogged in valley and mountaintop. I couldn’t see much, but whatever I could see was nice. And I was happy to have gotten a nice workout in to boot.


I rested for a few minutes and made my way down the hill. There was another section of the park I still wanted to explore before the 5pm bus would pick me up, so I didn’t have additional time to spare on this particular trail. On top of that, the rain was picking up a bit and I wanted to get off the mountain before the really steep parts got too slippery. Slippery rocks and slimy mud can be a pain in the butt to descend on.


Once at the bottom, I walked about 6-8 more kilometers to the Lapataia area of the Tierra del Fuego park. I wouldn’t say that the landscape is all that different here from the rest, but rather I wanted to get there to take a photograph of a sign. Yes, you read that route. This location is where National Route 3 ends – the significance of this route is that it connects all the way non-stop to Alaska. One day, I’d like to drive from one end to the other. That would be interesting.



Tonight was my last in Ushuaia. Brittany was still in town, so we met up for dinner and caught up on all of the gossip. It felt like we were two teenage girls.

 

No comments: